Tuesday 27 August 2013

Indulge Me

Well what a few days. The sudden and utterly devastating loss of our much loved family labrador has utterly broken my family into pieces and now each of us is facing the aftermath...

Honey was 8 yrs old nearly 9. Originally my daughters puppy, when she went to university Honey decided to attach herself to my son adn so they became inseperable. They slept in the same bed, she followed him around literally 6 inches from his legs, he spoiled her rotten with love, food, treats and his time. She gave him unconditional love, knew his shift pattern better than me, even moving herself into prime position to see him coming in through the door on a night after his work and always knew within about 5 mins that he was due in.

I swear at times those two shared a telepathic link.

Now as a lab, she was loving, never moody, never barked - I can still count the number of times she barked on 2 hands, but she had love for all our family, every single one. She knew when someone wasnt well, when they needed a hug, when they needed to feel they had a purpose, ie walking her.

Most folks would say all labs are like that but this one was def different. 1 of a kind, un replaceable and that is the way it will stay

There is such silence now, not that she made much noise, but I miss the snoring, the clatter of nails on the floor, the balls whizzing past my feet. I miss the face appearing at the door when I opened it to come in, asking me to take her out before I made a drink or sat down. Siting, begging at the fridge for a slice of ham or a bit of bacon fat. Turning her head trying to talk and tell me she also wanted food.
stealing the raddox bubbles out of the bath as I'm lying in them (only raddox mind) lying in my space on the bed because she got their first

and so many other things, including letting me know she loved me, as much as I loved her

It will be a while before I get used to the silence and the gap in our lives and no I dont expect many to understand and people can say what they want. if someone was i your life for 8 nr 9 years day in/day out then gone in the blink of an eye, u'd grieve for them too

Doggy heaven has got itself a damn fine new inmate !

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear of your loss, Clair. I know what you're going through, having been there myself two years ago.

    Margaret X

    ReplyDelete