Friday 28 June 2013

Is size so important ?

So is it? Is the size of something really important or is it just a matter of personal preference. Surely the answer is relevant to whatever is being compared. I mean, we all love a small piece of cake but we'd love a bigger piece. Im sure there is a particular piece of of bodies that we wished were smaller or bigger LOL No thats not what this post is about !

Whats your prefered size of paperback? Thats my point LOL

Years ago the average paperback was 4" x 7" or 4 1/2" x 7". These days the main publishers opt for 5" x 8" and thats just in recent years. One thing that strikes me as funny is that they still quote in inches while the rest of the world uses centimetres for just about everything.

I like the smaller 4" x 7" even though some can be as thick as a brick, it just feels right. The new 5" x 8" feels good too but then I dont think it will fit in the average handbag. (Thats where a kindle or such device pays dividends) But there is a growing trend in the self publishing world to use 6" x 9". Infact that's both createspace and Lulu's default size.

My question is why? Who profits from these extra inches? The writer, the customer or the publisher?

My guess its probably the publisher , they cost pretty much around the same as a 5" x 7" book, maybe a dollar more for the same size file but if you make the mistake I did with my first book, you use the default setting and then the book, although lovely is too thin and feels wrong.

I just re did FBG in a 5" z 8" size and it feels much better, but then thats just my personal preference.

Maybe thats the point that we all follow the current trend until the trend stops, only deviating when we write something that just outprices itself from the 5" x 8" range.

One things for sure Its complicated !

No comments:

Post a Comment