Wednesday 26 June 2013

A day in the life...

That darned alarm clock went off at 5:11 a.m.  After doing my daily sit up, I stared at the closet, trying to decide what to wear.  Reaching for my morning medication, I felt every muscle in my body scream as I contemplated what the day would bring.

Tomorrow is hump day, I thought, (which means little to me), yesterday was Monday....today is Tuesday (ICK!  The worst day of the week!)  Why do I feel this way?

After a busy weekend, having my first signing, I felt that I'd finally taken that first step and would give myself a week away from the writer life.  Monday, I woke recharged as I always do after sleeping in for two days (well 8:30), then came home and spent two hours pulling the foot tall weeds I'd ignored for months.  The heat beat down at a whopping 27 C and by the end of two hours, my butt had cramped from being bent in half.  Why can't all weeds be a foot tall at the same time?  I wondered.  Why do the bigger weeds only hide the true mess underneath?

My roommate came out to cut the grass and with one look at my bright red face, red sun-touched skin, he told me to sit for awhile (he thought I'd have a coronary).  As I look at the little garden I'd started, I knew the side and front gardens would be just as bad.  I pushed through until it was all done, took a hot shower and crawled between the sheets, exhausted, yet proud I'd caught up on real life.

As I stood to reach for the dress clothes to start my day, a familiar cramp began in the back of my leg. CHARLIE HORSE....my calve screamed!  I wobbled, kneading the stiff round ball back to where I believed it belonged.  Being creative, I likened the pain to plucking your eyelashes out one at a time.  Tears rolled down my face until the mass finally relaxed. Whew...that was over with!

Thinking I'd conquered the worst...I looked at my right foot of the same leg, to see the baby toe thrust out in an odd direction.  As I contemplated why it was pointing east....within seconds, I realized my mistake.  It seems I'd massaged that ball only for it to relocate in the bottom of my foot.  As I hobbled around trying to dress simultaneously, the clock showed I would be late ten minutes.  Enough!  My head said....this is only Tuesday?  That means I have three more mornings to face this week.  Is it any wonder I reach for a new dream? 

On that drive to work, I wondered if Anne Rice or Steven King have to pull weeds? 

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if they have to do laundry! I'm happy to let the weeds take over, at least they're green. :)

    ReplyDelete