Saturday 28 June 2014

Falling out of Love


Its the same with every book that I write, I get approximately half way through and hit a brick wall. People tell me its writers block but its not. I know whats to come next its just that I fall out of love with the characters and the storyline.

I think it's because it takes so long to develop characters, a feasable storyline, then start to write it all down that at some point it is inevitable that we just need a break from them. I try to do something else for a few days, anything, something but this time that urge to write the next bit hasnt come back, so I am trying something different - starting something new, rather than working on an idea thats been in my mind for a while. Maybe that will help.

I will come back to the books that are half written or half edited thats for sure, Ive done that all through my writing career. If it takes a week, a month, till next year so be it.

Maybe its more of a mental issue. I am a writer that needs things around them to be right. The house needs to be tidyish, no daily jobs outstanding and I need to be in a fairly good, stress free mood especially when I am trying to craft a romantic book. If not in the right place it shows in my word selection and then costs me more time in the editing process. I dont need quiet, far from it but I doo need to feel right. In the end who knows its just how I work I guess...

BTW Wow how cool does that sound - writing career! But its true, more than one book - thats a career. For me the most important thing is that I am writing, creating something, carefully crafting a story that I will like and if others like it, great.

No comments:

Post a Comment