Sunday 27 April 2014

A habitual rethink

For the past few years I have enjoyed a morning coffee on a Saturday by sitting at a well known establishment (not my usual one) having a lattee, possibly a toastie and for an hour or so I concentrate on nothing but typing, crafting a story or editing that story.

I pay no attention to those around me, have my headphones plugged in - at least 1 ear, usually both and I put my head down and work but for the last two visits thats been called into question...

Last weekend an elderly couple told a member of staff that I was transcribing their conversation - I wasnt and the member of staff confirmed that. This week in a different branch I was told that I was disturbing people by the noise of my typing ( i kid you not!) I dont have a typewriter, just a laptop and its not noisy.

Around me two more people were working on laptops and other devices and they all looked flabergasted as I was told. I thought I was about to be asked to turn the music down but no, to slow the speed of my typing. One kind soul walked across to me from the next table and said - couldnt hear a thing!

Thing is these days people go to coffee shops to do all sorts of things, have meetings, meet friends, interviews, work, alsorts. I have never complained about anyone no matter how loud they talk or how obnoxious they are being yet now I feel like next week I cant do what Ive done for years.

My choices are to move shop, which also means moving where I shop as the two are located together, but why should I or not go in and lose that hour of creativity.

Or not bother and keep going - thing is I hate confrontation, makes me uncomfortable

Or go shopping, come home and hope not too many things distract me whist I try and work at home

I guess next Saturday morning I will see how brave I feel....

No comments:

Post a Comment